Saturday, July 23, 2011

Super Sinister Skullpture Saturday

Recdently my wife had the pleasure of visiting friends in the beautiful Denver, Colorado area. She was in love with the mountain air, the friendly folks, and the overall culture when she happened to embark upon a mission to find me a locally made skullpture for my collection. Well, after a good lead from another shop owner they arrived at the Green Horse Gallery in Manitou Springs, CO. Her expedition led her to the works of a great artist by the name of Dan Loftis.



I got more info from Dan on his techniques, "All of my skulls are original, one of a kind creations. I use a stoneware or raku clay and I fire them with an ancient Japanese raku firing method. There's two techniques I use when I reduce my pieces, that's why some have a cracked appearance and others have the multi-colored metallic finish."





"My main influence is Brom, but there are others that have inspired me as well. People like Todd McFarlane, Stan Winston and Tim Burton."





"The reason I make skulls is something I've never really thought about before. I guess I've always been a fan of darker things, even as a child. Most of my creations are of a evil or scary nature so skulls go hand in hand with everything else that I make. Also, skulls are frickin' awesome! Why wouldn't I make them?"



You can't argue with logic like that, Dan. The raku fired skull that my wife picked up for me(like the one in pic#2) is definitely one of the more unique pieces adorning my dresser. Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful pieces you've created and I wish you the best of luck in your mile high endeavors.

No comments: